Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Chronic Illness Plus Acute Illness Sucks

I just recently got over having a cold. Hubby caught the cold initially and unfortunately passed it to me. This cold was a bad one. Lots of coughing, very hard hitting. Hubby (who is healthy) usually kicks a cold in a couple of days, but was down with it for about a week. I was down for a week too.

Being regular sick on top of chronic illness SUCKS! Acute illness (colds, flus, etc) makes you feel awful. Put that on top of feeling awful from chronic illness and you've got a double whammy. Acute illness makes all your chronic illness symptoms worse. It takes longer to recover. Sometimes acute illness causes chronic illness flares.

If you get an acute illness while dealing with chronic illness, be gentle with yourself. Rest, rest, rest. And then rest some more. Allow yourself time to heal. Rest even after the acute illness symptoms stop. Slowly ease yourself back into your regular routine. Eat well, hydrate a lot, and rest. Take good care of yourself.

I spent extra days in bed and am taking a bunch of days to try to slowly get back to my normal routine. I've watched a LOT of Netflix and slept a lot. I knew I was starting to feel a bit better when I started feeling bored and didn't have to take such long naps. But I did my best to resist the urge to jump back into my normal routine. It was hard, but going slow is best when dealing with chronic illness.

What helps you the most to get through acute illness while also dealing with chronic illness? Feel free to answer in the comments.


Please consider also following me on social media (Instagram, Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest): @RenaraTarot

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Comments on this blog are moderated. Your comment will be reviewed and posted shortly, if appropriate.